Tiles Tips & Tricks
DESIGNS AND INSTALLATIONS
Tiles are modular pieces that can be arranged to create any pattern you wish. The selection of shapes, size, colour and finishings allow for design possibilities that are only limited by your imagination. The common combinations typically designed with tiles are:
DESIGNING WITH TILES
There are different types of tile adhesives for different installation conditions. There are various technical specifications which are too extensive to go into detail in this booklet. However, in general, the type of adhesive required if determined by factors such as:
ADHESIVE USAGE GUIDELINES
TILE LAYOUT PLANNING
Make sure that the lighting in the are being tiled is as close as possible to the final lighting condition. Ensure the tiler mixes tiles randomly from five to seven different cartons to ensure proper blending of any colour shading or tonality variation.
As the work progresses, do periodic checks:
As manufacturers’ warranties are only valid for uninstalled tiles, it is important to stop tilling any further if there are any doubts or concerns about the tile quality. Immediately contact your tile supplier with your concerns.
GOOD PRACTICES WHEN LAYING CERAMIC TILES
Handling & Storage
1. Always check tiles upon delivery. Ensure that the specifications are as ordered.
2. If supplied in batches, ensure proper arrangement to avoid mixed shades and sizes that can occur in different batches.
3. Store tiles in a suitable dry area, on a firm and level ground.
4. Use pallets when stacking to prevent damages due to breakages and for ease in handling. Limit stacking to 3 pallets height.
5. It is recommended to do a small "dry lay" to check on quality as well as to ensure the correct specified tile has been provided.
Clean-up & Curing Time
1. Excess grout residue can be removed with a grout remover, or if more aggressive cleaning if required, floor scrubber or floor buffing machines equipped with a nylon pad and brush can be used.
2. A wet vacuum can be used to pick up suspended grout residue and construction dirt completely. Grout haze remover is available from adhesive suppliers. Follow the dilution instructions on the label. Dampen a sponge with the grout haze remover and pull diagonally across the tile. Repeat as needed. Change out cleaner solution when water is murky. For grout haze that has hardened on the tiles for a long time simply use the cleaner at full strength and let the cleaner solution sit on the hazed areas for about 10 to 15 minutes before wiping out.
3. Once installed, do not allow traffic for 4 days, and thereafter only light foot traffic for the next 10 days.
4. Avoid vibration and hammering near newly installed areas.
REGULAR UPKEEP AND MAINTENANCE
Cleaning, removing stains and preseving appearance
1. Follow the manufacturer's recommendations on cleaning agents at all times.
2. Avoid impact or vibration with metal parts on all ceramic tile surfaces.
Ceramic or Glazed Tiles
1. As Sand is one of the raw materials in producing ceramic tiles, it can scratch the glaze on the tiles.
2. Ideally, sweep or vacuum to remove loose sand or others contaminants before wet mopping.
3. Never use metal pads or brushes for cleaning as these can wear our the glaze.
4. Do not drag heavy objects such as crates across tiled floors that are not specified for heavy-duty use.
5. Clean all spills. On porous tiles, the longer the spills stand, the greater the possibility of staining.
6. Hydrofluoric acid or its compounds can etch ceramic or glass surfaces. Ensure that the cleaning agent use does not contain hydrofluoric acid or its compounds.